Department of Sociology
- Patricia Fernández-Kelly, a professor of sociology at Princeton, has received the 2020 ASA Distinguished Career Award for the Practice of Sociology from the American Sociological Association (ASA).
- Dalton Conley, the Henry Putnam University Professor in Sociology, and Shirley M. Tilghman, president of the University, emeritus, and professor of molecular biology and public affairs, have been named 2019 fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) for their scientifically or socially distinguished work.
- How do people afford luxury things? Frederick Wherry, Professor of Sociology at Princeton University joins the Matt Bubala Show live to discuss the age old concept: is the grass always greener on the other side?
- Just how valuable are Yelp and Amazon ratings?
- Black America is far from a monolith.
- Efforts at controlling the powers of concentrated wealth has been an ongoing problem within society. Some believe overcoming the issue involves looking back at the foundations of democratic societies.
- What factors make a political movement successful? Can internet searches reveal patterns of economic inequality? How do racial and gender biases influence health outcomes?
- Alejandro Portes, the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle Snyder Beck Professor of Sociology, Emeritus, and senior scholar in sociology, has been awarded the 2019 Princess of Asturias Award in the Social Sciences. The Princess of Asturias Awards are the highest form of recognition bestowed by the Spanish Crown and among the most important prizes...
- The scientist at the front of the room hunched over and splayed his arms out to his sides. Waddling a bit like a penguin, he shuffled his feet over to one side, then the other as he described how the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity had recently explored a part of the planet Mars. Suddenly he looked up, his eyes searching for the ethnographer in...
Remaking a Life: How Women Living with HIV/AIDS Confront InequalityFeb3
In Our Backyards: How the Prison Boom Transformed AmericaFeb10